SBE 2020: Future Research in the Social, Behavioral & Economic Sciences
Now Available! Rebuilding the Mosaic.
The report describes findings from the SBE 2020 process and some next steps for NSF.
View the report or order a print copy below.
As we look forward 10 even 20 years, the Directorate for the Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences of the National Science Foundation (NSF/SBE) seeks to frame innovative research for the year 2020 and beyond that enhances fundamental knowledge and benefits society in many ways. As a first step in engaging its community, NSF/SBE invited individuals and groups to contribute white papers in which we asked authors to outline pivotal questions that are both foundational and transformative – foundational because they reflect deep issues that engage fundamental assumptions behind disciplinary research traditions and transformative because they seek to leverage current findings to unlock new cycles of research.
The response has been gratifying; 252 unique papers were received by October 15, 2010, covering the full range of SBE sciences. The report, Rebuilding the Mosaic (October 2011), sets forth major ideas, cross-cutting themes, and implications for the directorate’s programs. From here, you can:
- View and print the report, Rebuilding the Mosaic: Fostering Research in the Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences at the National Science Foundation in the Next Decade. Publication Number: NSF 11-086
- Order a bound print copy of Rebuilding the Mosaic Fostering Research in the Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences at the National Science Foundation in the Next Decade. Publication Number: NSF 11-086. Note: you will need the title and publication number to complete your request
- Review the original Dear Colleague Letter, released August 2010
- Review the guidelines for submitting papers
- View a complete list of the submissions (corresponding author, title, and abstract).
- Access, browse and search the titles, corresponding authors, abstracts, and available full texts.
- Download a fully indexed PDF file containing all authors, titles, and abstracts
Please note that we only required one contact or corresponding author for each submission; the full list of authors and their affiliations are contained in the papers. Additional guidance on searching is provided on the search page.