for People with Disabilities
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FOR PERSONS WITH
DISABILITIES, INCLUDING DISABLED VETERANS
- Special authorities are available for the non-competitive
appointment of persons with severe physical and mental disabling
conditions and for Veterans with a 30 percent or higher compensable
- Appointments may be made on a temporary basis to demonstrate
ability to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position.
- Candidates are usually certified for appointment by a counselor
or State vocational rehabilitation agency or the Department
of Veterans Affairs.
- Upon completion of two years of satisfactory service, the
employee may qualify for non-competitive conversion
to a career or career-conditional appointment. Disabled veterans
may be converted from a time-limited appointment of more than
- Eligible candidates may apply for vacancy consideration regardless
of closing date so long as the selection has not been made.
- State vocational rehabilitation agencies, colleges, Department
of Veterans Affairs, talent bank, advertisements.
- Candidate must meet qualification requirements for the position.
- Candidate must have, when required, a statement from a State
vocational rehabilitation agency or service certifying they
have the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Disabled veterans must have retired from active military service
with a disability rating of 30 percent or more, or been
rated by the Department of Veterans Affairs within the preceding
year as having a compensable service-connected disability
of 30 percent or more.